Who we are
Intermountain Concrete Specialties was founded in June 1950 by Allen Terry, who identified a special need in the Salt Lake construction market. The company started as a small office in downtown Salt Lake City and quickly became the local leader of concrete and construction supplies in the intermountain west. Today, Intermountain Concrete Specialties has seven locations in Utah and Idaho, serving contractors and homeowners alike. The company is committed to providing superior products and customer service, and has a strong and determined commitment to the communities it serves
What you will be doing
The Purchasing Assistant is responsible for negotiating with vendors to purchase all materials, supplies, equipment, and services required to maintain healthy inventory levels. This role is critical in ensuring that our business grows by procuring the necessary resources at the best possible price. The Purchasing Assistant is also responsible for maintaining cordial relationships with suppliers, conducting market research to identify beneficial purchase agreements and potential vendors, and ensuring timely delivery of products and materials.
What we need from you
- Negotiate purchase prices and delivery terms for stock inventory with vendors.
- Ensure that purchased items are delivered as promised by following up with vendors.
- Maintain optimal inventory levels for customers by anticipating future inventory demands without overstocking.
- Keep track of seasonal products and ensure that they are in stock during the appropriate season.
- Foster positive working relationships with vendors.
- Communicate with the warehouse regarding incoming materials.
- Direct the purchase of all product lines and non-stock inventory.
- Administer the inventory control and re-buying function.
- Negotiate prices and make purchases of quantity items in relation to the best purchase price, discounts, terms, and delivery.
- Expedite stock orders, special orders, and direct shipments.
- Review and evaluate special/non-stock orders.
- Adjust and solve problems with suppliers.
- Manage the transfer of products from branch to branch.
- Advise management of vendor promotions, specials, new products, policy changes, etc.
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends by attending trade shows, conventions, or seminars beneficial to the company’s industry.
- Maintain current price information, product catalogs, and all specification information.
- Review all back orders and expedite them appropriately.
What skills & experience you’ll bring to us
- Understanding of purchasing processes and inventory stocking models.
- Prior knowledge of construction materials.
- Working knowledge of inventory systems and willingness to learn.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and negotiating skills.
- Reliable transportation required.
- Willingness to join our team and be a team player.
- Organized, professional, honest, and polite.
- Self-starter who can work with minimal supervision.
- Good time management skills.
- Willingness to join appropriate job-related organizations.
- Bachelor’s or Associates Degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management or comparable years of experience